Tuesday, May 13, 2014

This season.

TO EVERYTHING there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven: (Ecclesiastes 3:1 AMP)

A glimpse into my current season. 


Seasons. There is a season for everything under the sun. I am feeling that truth deeply right now. It's become more like a way of thinking (my daily mantra, if you will). I have to be honest. I feel so much pressure to be a rock star mom, and these days, it seems as if even stay-at-home moms are competitive in their "stay-at-homedness". Scheduled activities every week. Play dates. Daily (infinite) chores. Meals perfected off of Pinterest (a good lot of mine would probably fall under the "Pinterest fail" category). Blogging. Serving. Having some sort of business on the side that contributes to the family financially while still maintaining the work of a stay at home mom (what?!). Whew. Now, are all of these self-imposed pressures? Well, of course. Do some of these sound utterly ridiculous as I go back and read them? A definitive yes.


But I simply attribute it to being unsatisfied with the season of life I'm in at the moment. How much do I sound like the old (often overused, even?) story of the Israelites wandering in the desert, their every need being provided for, and still they wanted more. I, like them, have grown sick of my manna. Why? Because I've been tuning into the lies of this crazy, oh-so-messed up world and not tuning into the truths of God. He has given me a blessed life, not two but soon to be three beautiful blessings to raise and nurture, wealth beyond what is comprehensible to the majority of the people in the world, and of course countless other blessings I could fill an entire day rattling off. So, a change of perspective is in order, I think. As I feel this tiny miracle kick and move in my belly as I type, my new perspective is this: this is my job. To grow a child (amazing, regardless of the amount it happens, or the number of moms who experience it); to raise my children to know God and to love Jesus; to love and serve my husband; and above all else, to make sure God's is the only voice I'm listening to in this blink of a life. This is my season right now. All too soon, it will be gone, the next one will be present, and I'll be faced with the same challenge of being content in my current season, whatever that holds. My hope is that I start being content now, as there is no telling what the next season may look like. Here's to enjoying whatever season your life finds you in at this moment.

PS--for a more poetic & frankly more beautiful articulation of what I just wrote, please read the lovely words of Ann Voskamp in this link. Crazy. I just found this today, after writing this blog yesterday. Affirmation.


Best line: "she could see it all above her--how the stars are always small..." Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment