Friday, September 9, 2011

Penny pincher

Free goods, how I love thee. Here are some of the recent scores I've acquired.

Diapers: by diligently plugging in every. single. diaper code I ever got from K's plethora of diaper packages, I earned enough for a free $10 gift certificate to diapers.com. In addition to $10 off the first order from the website. Hoorah. Seemingly pointless minutes typing in meaningless codes did, in fact, pay off (literally).

Underwear: Ok, girls, I don't know if you receive these in the mail, but once or twice a quarter, Victoria's Secret sends out coupons for FREE underwear. I just got some normally $12 panties for zero dollars. $12?! For panties? I paid $8.00 for an entire brand new outfit for K. Like I'd spend more than that to clothe my, uh, rear. Nope. Regardless, that's approximately 4 pr. of free undies a year! Yes, it's a little awkward going in there and handing the gal at the register your one panty and the coupon, but seriously. They know what's up. They probably use them, too.

Printables: Since I've been teaching, I have been obsessed with printables. Maybe it's because it's like someone else is doing the work for you. Whatever. I am working when I print them out. Now, they have a whole cadre of printables on...need I even say it? The P word. Pinterest. It's become my dirty word of choice. I'm ashamed at how much I'm on that stupid website, and yet, I can't stop. And, I must say, our house is becoming prettier (courtesy DIY instructions), recipes better, and things cleaner (courtesy inventive, easy cleaning solutions). So it doesn't stop there, they have printables for anything and everything imaginable. You need a card for your child's lunchbox? Check. You want a fancy holiday print? Check. You want a grocery list template? Check. So print away. Except printer paper isn't free (woh-wohhhh).

To avoid this becoming an obscenely long post (too late), I will explain why I am especially loving free stuff at the moment. Because I've been tremendously blessed to stay home with sweet K-bear, there are certain sacrifices that have to be made, i.e., a pretty little cake vs. a big ol' bite. This month, we decided to go back on a budget. Scary, because it means we can only spend a set amount per month. Exciting, because we haven't been on a budget as restrictive as this since our North Carolina days, where we were on a BUD-GET, y'all. I tend to be more thankful for things and see the graciousness that God bestows on us when I truly have to analyze whether I need something or not. When you think about it, there are very few things that we really NEED. It is also neat to watch and see the Lord provide in ways you didn't think imaginable. That's what He does. Work in situations where you can't see the final outcome. When I think about it, being on a budget is actually a much simpler way of life. No need to feel the pressure to keep up with the Joneses, because you're not even in the competition. ;) Real priorities become the focus (like saving up for date night instead of spending the extra $ on hair care products). It also frees you up to TRUST in God's provision. Not Israelite-style. We're not exactly wandering in the desert being fed manna. But it's the same idea--we have plenty to eat, we have a roof over our heads (a very nice roof, I might add, in comparison to the world's standards), we are healthy...all the things in life we really NEED, we have. I am thankful for being on a budget again, and frankly, I'm ok with the budget becoming a permanent fixture in our household. As the old cliche goes, keep the big things big and the little things little. I love this saying:


Too true. Plus, making a wreath from scratch is so much more special than running out and buying one (not to judge, I've bought many a wreath for the sake of time!)

Segue into Pinterest Phriday! I am making this wreath today:

 After I am done, I will post how it went...mine will be slightly different from this one because Hobby Lobby was out of the paper bag-colored burlap...probably because everyone else is out making this wreath. : / Oh well, necessity is the mother of invention, right? We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment