Clean now, but somebody woke up from their nap...(how does this lady from Jones Design Co. do all of these projects with FOUR little ones around?! On top of running her business?! I can't even fathom.) This wreath is rather time intensive unless you have a sewing machine. Second tip: use thick thread with a thick needle; all I had laying around was standard grade fabric thread. Not exactly durable. Plus, with thick thread, you don't have to double it up, making it much easier to pull through.
The back layer didn't go so well. Third tip: make sure you measure exactly 70 inches for the length! I got 1 1/2 yards of material, so when I measured the length, I only ended up with about 56 inches. My back layer looks like crud. For the front layer, it ended up working out ok because you pin the ruffles on the inner part of the wreath form, thus taking up less length. Fourth tip: to speed the threading process, do an "accordion style" stitch--in other words, hold the needle with one hand and layer the fabric in an accordion fold through the needle. This method took much less time, and gave me better formed ruffles.
So, after all was said and done, this wreath was kind of a pain to make. Burlap: stinky/messy. Ruffles: challenging. Thread: doodoo. I ended up not making the silk flower that's supposed to go on it because I was so exhausted from making the wreath/cleaning up after it. I did add the feathers, which gives it a nice fall touch, I think. Here is the finished product:
| Eh. |
| Mistake!! |
| Needs some accents. |
| Slightly better. Glad the bottom part is covered up... |
| Done. |
If you have a room devoted to crafting and don't mind the mess (or don't have a 7 month old that has decided she is no longer a long nap-taker), then I say go for it with the wreath. Just follow instructions. I don't do so well with that, so lesson learned, I guess.
Happy Friday! Have a fab weekend.
This is totally making me actually want to make a wreath. Instead of just pinning photos of them :-)
ReplyDelete